Decluttering And Organizing The Garage
It’s day 24 of the challenge! Today we have a big task, the garage. Depending on how long you have lived in your home you may have varying degrees of “stuff” in this area.
This task may seem overwhelming, but you have made it this far, and you can do it!
If you need to you can split the task of cleaning out the garage into two days- a weekend would be perfect for this project. Focusing on decluttering and discarding as much as you can will help you to keep this space neat and organized for a much longer time. Remember: the less you have, the less you have to work for it. (I love my free time for fun things and that does not include organizing!)
Once you have the space decluttered and organized you are going to be amazed at how much easier it is to find the things you need when you need them.
Let’s jump right in!
How To Declutter And Organize The Garage
- Take everything out of your garage and put it in your driveway so you can sort.
- Start by categorizing everything: holiday items, lawn and garden care, outdoor furniture, tools, and whatever else you have in there.
- Now clean out the interior of your garage. Really give everything in there a thorough cleaning before you move to the next step. Now is also a good time to make your floors look top notch with an epoxy treatment. You can buy them for a reasonable price at most home improvement stores.
- Next, get into each pile and category you have created. As always, create your piles of toss, donate, and sell.
- Assess your existing storage. Now, look at what you have left to store. If you need more or alternative storage methods, go ahead and make a list to purchase them.
- With your space fully cleaned, your things decluttered and organized, and your storage updated, go ahead and start placing everything back where you want them to live.
Day 21: Creating a House Care Binder
Day 23: The Playroom
Day 24: The Garage
Day 25: Creating a Disaster Kit
Day 26: Protecting Your Valuables