Decluttering And Organizing The Front Closet
Hello, and welcome to the second day of the declutter and organizing challenge!
Now that you have your entryway beautifully organized, let’s move to another area that can get loaded with unnecessary things- the front closet. This is an area that really benefits from a seasonal decluttering.
Throughout the year we need different things in the front closet depending on the weather and if we switch these out to be seasonally appropriate, the front closet will not only be more functional, with all of your items in easy to find places, it will also leave room for guests to place their things when they stop in for a visit.
Let’s get started!
- First, remove everything from the closet-coats, gear, shoes, scarves, gloves, bags –everything. When you are decluttering it is very important to completely clear your space so you can then be intentional with what you put back in there.
- Sweep or vacuum the floor of the closet and wipe down any shelving. Tip: I like to keep my vacuum cleaner ready to use when I’m organizing.
- Next, sort through that pile and see what belongs in here and what can be rehomed to another area. When you are sorting, think of how often each item is used. If the answer is not that often, maybe it doesn’t need to be taking up space in the front closet.
- Once you have narrowed down the items that will need to go back into the front closet, think of the best way to utilize the space you have in there. Invest in some quality wooden hangers for coats, and see where you can use baskets or hooks for additional storage options.
- Next, hang coats, or put small accessories in baskets on shelves or on the floor of the closet, and neatly hang bags from hooks.
- Finally, to keep your front closet beautiful and functional, mark your calendar for a date when you will clear it out each season. If you do this a few times a year it will make a huge difference.
- To finish off the part of the challenge that focuses on the front of your house, go ahead and sweep and neaten your front porch or entryway. Consider a fresh new entryway mat to finish off your newly beautified entryway.
Download the Front Closet Declutter Checklist here.
Want more great tips on how to organize the entrance? Read more here!
Day 1: Declutter And Organizing Challenge-with Free Printables!
Day 6: Laundry Room and Mudroom
Day 8: Creating a Home Management Binder
Day 21: Creating a House Care Binder
Day 23: The Playroom
Day 24: The Garage
Day 25: Creating a Disaster Kit
Day 26: Protecting Your Valuables